1) Club members: Will properly house, feed, water and exercise all dogs under their care and arrange for appropriate
veterinary attention if and when required.
2) Will agree without reservation that any veterinary surgeon performing an operation on any of their dogs which alters the
natural conformation of the animal, or who carries out a caesarean section on a bitch, may report such operation to the Kennel Club.
3) Will agree that no healthy puppy will be culled. Puppies that may not conform to the ‘Breed Standard’, should be
placed in suitable homes.
4) Will abide by all aspects of the Animal Welfare Act.
5) Will not create demand for, nor supply, puppies that have been docked illegally.
6) Will agree not to breed from a dog or bitch which could be in any way harmful to the dog or to the breed.
7) Will not allow any of their dogs to roam at large or to cause a nuisance to neighbours or those carrying out official
8) Will ensure that their dogs wear properly tagged collars and will be kept leashed or under effective control when
away from home.
9) Will clean up after their dogs in public places or anywhere their dogs are being exhibited.
10) Will only sell dogs where there is a reasonable expectation of a happy and healthy life and will help with the re-
homing of a dog if the initial circumstances change.
11) Will supply written details of all dietary requirements and give guidance concerning responsible ownership when
placing dogs in a new home.
12) Will ensure that all relevant Kennel Club documents are provided to the new owner when selling or transferring a
dog, and will agree, in writing, to forward any relevant documents at the earliest opportunity, if not immediately
13) Will not sell any dog to commercial dog wholesalers, retail pet dealers or directly or indirectly allow dogs to be given
as a prize or donation in a competition of any kind. Will not sell by sale or auction Kennel Club registration
certificates as stand alone items (not accompanying a dog).
14) Will not knowingly misrepresent the characteristics of the breed nor falsely advertise dogs nor mislead any person
regarding the health or quality of a dog.
15) All parents must be DNA tested unless heriditary clear of gPRA/crd3 (this DNA test is evidence only for the presence of gPRA/crd3). Owners of carrier/affected Glen of Imaal Terriers should agree to mate their dogs/bitches with heridtary clear or DNA tested clear dogs/bitches only. Owners of brood bitches should be encouraged to endorse all puppies not to be bred from until DNA tested for gPRA/crd3. This endorsement must be explained clearly to all prospective owners. It is recommended that all dogs should still be eye-tested periodically as a safeguard against further eye conditions. The above guide lines are in line with The Glen of Imaal Terrier Association Recommended Breeding Policy.
16) Puppies of a non standard colour i.e. ”Liver-defined as having brown noses and brown eye rims” Must be endorsed
“not to be bred from” when registered with the Kennel Club. This restriction to be lifted only under exceptional
circumstances, in agreement to be reached between the breed club and the breeder
17) Members will, when breeding dogs, adopt as a minimum standard the principles, requirements and recommendations as embodied in the Kennel Club`s Assured Breeders Scheme. It is strongly recommended that members who breed should apply to join the scheme.
18) Any bitch that has not had a first litter before reaching the age of 6 years should not be mated. And if that litter would be due after the bitch reaches the age of 6 , she should equally not be mated.
19) No member of the Glen of Imaal Terrier Association shall use social media or other publication methods to make any unjustified derogatory comments, direct or implies about.
a) another member;
b) The Glen of Imaal Terrier Association;
c) an official of the club.
Such conduct may be considered incompatible with continued membership and may lead to the expulsion of that member
Breach of these provisions may result in expulsion from club membership, and/or disciplinary action by the Kennel Club and/or reporting to the relevant authorities for legal action, as appropriate.